Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Patzcuaro, La Casa de los Onces Patios


La Casas de los Onces Patios is a former Dominican convent that has been converted into a 2 story showcase for regional crafts. Many of the patios are linked by sculpted arches that lead to a variety of shops and courtyards.





We could spend days wandering around and looking in all of the shops. One of our favorite things is watching the artists working with black lacquerware which is often trimmed with gold. They paint beautiful jewelry, large and small decorative plates, gourds, boxes and many other items. The detail is incredible and
the results are striking.


When I think of Patzcuaro and crafts I always think of the textiles. Most of them are hand woven, some on large traditional looms. Beats me how they do it.


There are many shops selling napkins, tablecloths, placemats and so on. This was one of my favorites.


 I loved the stuff in here and purchased a queen size bedspread similar to the one in this photo. At $45 there was no way I could pass it up.


The women in this area do exquisite embroidery. I read that girls begin embroidery classes at the age of 5. So many gorgeous blouses and other clothing as well as pillows of all sizes and shapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment